I realize that I am not going to make friends with the next statement but here goes! Sometimes, I mean just sometimes it is okay for children to lie! Yep I said it and probably going to hell for it, but here me out before you throw stones at me okay!
We have all sat and taught our kids the importance of honesty and how god wants us to be good people and good people do not lie. When that doesn’t work we sit them down to watch Pinocchio and tell them if they lie then their nose is going to continue to grow the size of Texas! Yep probably going to hell for that one too!
Here’s the thing, we as parents spend so much time focusing on teaching our kids to be truthful that we forget they are naturally honest! They say what they mean and leave nothing up to interpretation!
I have been known in my lifetime as being brutally honest! While this is mostly true, there have been times when I felt a little white lie was necessary. Case in point, the time I had to tell a new mom that her ugly baby was cute and just so precious! i mean really what was a girl to say! Sorry chick your baby looks like Dumbo the elephant and you should probably get the ears checked because that’s just not normal! okay so just get me a permanent home downstairs because I must be going to hell for that one!
Sometimes we need to avoid hurting others feelings and to be totally transparent there are times I wish my kids have just lied to me. There is absolutely no filter and we moms need a little filter every now and then! Here are some examples of things that were said to me and I wish my kids had said nothing or just lied!
- Mom, some kids moms have a flat tummy and you don’t
- I don’t like this dinner! I want chicken!
- I like your hair the other color better! and long! I don’t like it short!
- That man is stinky! ( in the middle of target)
- I have to go poop right now! (shouting in the middle of the restaurant)
- why does her face look like that ( said right next to the funny face lady at the checkout line)
- Mom who is older? You or Dad? oh it must be you because you look older!
- Daddy is funny and you are not
So you see, sometimes it is okay to have a little white lie! I’m not saying all the time, but you know what? Maybe my self-esteem would be better if my kids just had a filter every once in a while!